Hoosier State sports bettors can now place legal wagers on mobile phones or tablets via full-featured mobile sportsbook apps. As the legal U.S. sports betting market continues to rapidly grow, sportsbook operators are putting in extra effort to provide a seamless mobile sportsbook experience. And, for the most part, they are doing a pretty good job of it in Indiana and around the country.
Best Indiana mobile sportsbook apps
Indiana mobile sports betting overview
September 2019 marked the official beginning of legal sports betting in Indiana. The passage of House Bill 1015 made in-person, online, and mobile betting legal within the Hoosier State. This means that users aged 21+ can register online (remotely) and wager on mobile sportsbook apps, as long as they are within the state borders.
Regulations allow each of the state’s 15 gambling facilities (casinos and tracks) to offer or partner with up to three sportsbooks apiece — that’s makes for a potential 45 total! That’s great for bettors, because lots of options means… lots of options and competition, innovation and more IN sportsbook promo offers.
Which Indiana sportsbooks offer mobile apps?
Here are the IN sportsbooks currently offering betting via mobile devices:
|Sportsbook||iOS App||Android App||Bonus|
|PointsBet Sportsbook||Yes||Yes||Get Bonus|
|FanDuel Sportsbook||Yes||Yes||Get Bonus|
|DraftKings Sportsbook||Yes||Yes||Get Bonus|
|BetRivers Sportsbook||Coming soon||Yes||Get Bonus|
|BetMGM Sportsbook||Yes||Yes||Get Bonus|
|BetAmerica Sportsbook||Coming soon||Coming soon||–|
|FOX Bet Sportsbook||Coming soon||Coming soon||–|
How to install and sign up for IN sports betting apps
Each Indiana sportsbook offers players its own promos and unique bonus offers. The first step in taking advantage is to register an account with your sportsbook(s) of choice. Here’s the explainer:
Installing a sportsbook app on Apple iOS devices:
- Check out our list of mobile sportsbooks at the top of this page, click on your sportsbook brand of choice, and you will be redirected to download the brand’s free mobile app.
- Once you’ve downloaded it, the app will prompt you to register an account. Enter your name and information and our corresponding Promo Code (if applicable) during this process.
- Get your account verified — this may require entering a text message code or clicking an e-mail in your inbox.
- Deposit funds and you’ll either get a match bonus right away according to the terms described in our reviews, get a free bet, or have the opportunity to make a risk-free bet, depending on the particular offer.
Installing a sportsbook app on an Android device:
- Open your Android device and go to Settings.
- Select “more” in the right-hand corner, then click “Security”
- Check the “Unknown Sources” box to ensure the download isn’t blocked (an .apk file)
- Re-open (or open) a web browser to this page
- Choose one of the mobile online sportsbooks listed above and you will be redirected to a page where you will click on a button to download the app
- If the device requests approval to download, click “OK” or “Install”
- The device will then download the app, and you will be prompted through the installation process by on-screen instructions.
- Next, open the mobile app on your Android device, if it doesn’t open up automatically, and register for an account. Enter your name and information and our corresponding Bonus Code (if applicable).
- Verify your account when prompted, which may mean clicking on an email.
- Deposit funds and you’ll either get a match bonus according to the terms described in our reviews, free bets available in your account, or have the opportunity to make a risk-free bet.
Often, players may be able to bypass the first steps, as many Indiana online sportsbooks have integrated the process of allowing “Unknown Sources” into the mobile app installation process.
Top Indiana sportsbook apps rundown
Below we take a quick look at what you can expect from some of the Hoosier State’s best sportsbook apps.
Since 2018, FanDuel has been owned and operated by Flutter Entertainment. If the name doesn’t ring any bells, it might help to know that up until 2019, Flutter Entertainment used the name Paddy Power Betfair, a huge sportsbook operator in the U.K. In Indiana, FanDuel operates in partnership with the Belterra Casino Resort.
The FanDuel Sportsook launched in Indiana in October 2019 and is available on both iOS and Android devices. The app for both systems has a clean interface and easy navigation. There is a plethora of betting options and sports available with good pricing. Both new and experienced users will have access to industry-leading promotional offers.
Much like FanDuel, DraftKings has made a name for itself with daily fantasy sports. In Indiana, DraftKings first went online in October 2019. The operator provides its services in partnership with Ameristar Casino Resort.
Compared to the desktop version, DraftKings’ mobile app has a cleaner design, but there’s a lot going on. Overall the app is navigable though, and we can see why some users would appreciate having the latest stats on display at all times. In terms of rewards and promotions, DraftKings isn’t quite the King, but they do offer regular, good promotions. Pricing isn’t always great through the Kambi-powered book, but the selection of betting markets is top of the line.
This Australia-based sportsbook rolled out its mobile sportsbook in partnership with Hollywood Casino, just in time for March Madness. This marked the sportsbook’s expansion into the third U.S. state, and it has no intention of slowing down.
Powered by its own in-house software and risk-management tools, PointsBet has delivered an excellent app design with some unique features. Namely, there is the operator’s flagship “Points Betting” feature, where the amount you win or lose is determined based on the final points/stats differential. As always, they have lots of creative promotions to spice up the deal, although they might ding you if you’re only playing promos and nothing else.
BetMGM set up shop in Indiana in February 2020, in partnership with Boyd’s Belterra casino. The sportsbook’s parent company, MGM Resorts International, has been a fixture in U.S. gambling for more than 30 years.
In 2019, the company took steps to improve its mobile sports betting offering, when they partnered with GVC Holdings, a UK-based gambling operator. The result was a joint venture called “Roar Digital”.
The number of betting markets and betting types at BetMGM is on par with the other sportsbooks we’ve mentioned. You can also look forward to weekly bonuses and promotions. However the pricing on props and on pre-game markets is a bit funky, and inferior, at times. Overall it’s a decent, stable app but needs some polishing and attention to their pricing strategy.
Owned by Rush Street Interactive, BetRivers Sportsbook launched in Indiana in October, the first to do so in the state. On debut, the operator released its mobile apps for iOS and Android. The betting markets offered for this Kambi-powered book are quite robust. In fact, the operator has one of the richest selections of sports in the business.
This variety also extends to promotional offers and rewards together with its popular iRush loyalty program. However, there are some questionable design choices that could use streamlining to improve user experience. For example, the positioning of the “More Sports” button is in an awkward position and easily missed.
TwinSpires (formerly BetAmerica) opened its virtual doors right at the end of 2019, in partnership with Rising Star Casino Resort. The sportsbook is owned by Churchill Downs Incorporated, known for owning the Churchill Downs racetrack, home of the Kentucky Derby.
The TwinSpires app has been a nice complement to the operator’s desktop platform. The app is very well-designed, keeping most of the other options within a tap or a swipe.
However, compared to the competition, TwinSpires still has plenty of room for growth when it comes to betting markets. Although all of the most popular sports are covered, we wouldn’t mind seeing some of the more niche markets and player/game props. Pricing overall is competitive.
Advantages of mobile sportsbook apps
There is a whole host of reasons why the majority of bettors choose to place and track wagers through apps. To name a few:
- Convenience – Whether you are in a bar, on a commute to work, in bed, at the game or a tailgate, you can place a bet as long as you have your phone around.
- User experience – Online sportsbooks are built with mobile users and screens in mind. Ideally, this means that they are easy to navigate and adapt seamlessly to different screen sizes.
- Welcome bonuses and rewards – The fact that you have constant access to the sportsbook through the app, also allows you to keep track of the latest promotional offers with e-mails and push notifications. Additionally, it’s not uncommon for sportsbooks to offer mobile-exclusive promotions.
Disadvantages of mobile sportsbook apps
For all their upsides, there are certain things which might make you turn to using the desktop platform.
- While under ideal circumstances, apps work intuitively, there are cases where apps are difficult to navigate. Clutter and weird button placement can result in “fat fingering” the screen or messing up a bet slip. Some apps make it much easier than others.
- While apps should make it possible to bet wherever you are, this also means that you will need a stable internet or data connection, which may not always be available.
- Finally, there is the matter of security. Sports betting apps are safe and regulated by state governments, but use caution when carrying your phone around in public spaces. Best to avoid someone accessing your phone and accounts, obviously.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, it is. The 2019 bill H 1015, signed into law, legalized retail, online and mobile betting.
Sportsbooks usually release apps for both of the two dominating mobile operating systems- Android and iOS. Although there is usually little difference in terms of UI and functionality between the apps, the way to download the apps is different between platforms. Namely, since Google prohibits gambling and betting apps from its Play Store, sports betting apps on Android usually have to be downloaded from the operator’s website and installed manually. On the other hand, iOS (and iPadOS) users can find and download sports betting apps directly from the App Store.
Sports betting apps allow you to bet on the full list of sports available on the operator’s website. Some of the popular sports include basketball, football, baseball, tennis, boxing, etc. In Indiana, the options are very expansive.
For the most part, this will depend on the brand itself. But generally, there should be no difference between the brand’s desktop offer of betting types and the ones offered in the app. Some of the popular betting types include moneyline bets, spread bets, totals (over/unders), prop bets, futures, parlays and in-play betting.
Your mobile device contains your location data. Indiana regulations require that sports betting apps use an application that detects your location to determine if you are within the state borders. Same way your phone location is used when navigating on Waze or Google Maps.
Due to the fact that different U.S. states have different regulations regarding gambling and sports betting, mobile apps are usually geographically restricted. Although you will be able to open up the app and have insight into odds and other information, you will only be able to bet while you are within the borders of the state where the sportsbook is licensed. You can still process banking transactions — withdrawals and deposits — into a sportsbook even if you’re out-of-state.
No, you can’t. You will only be able to bet within the borders of the state where the operator is licensed.
You might not need to, but it would be a good idea. App updates usually remove bugs and security vulnerabilities.
Some operators will force you to update the app to its latest version in order to use it, while others will let you use the older version for a certain period of time. Whatever the case, we would strongly recommend updating the apps to their latest version.
You sure can. Mobile apps usually give you full control over your account, which includes making deposits and withdrawals.