Indiana is one of the states most in need of a shot in the arm in the form of legal, regulated sports wagering. State casino revenue has been flat since 2015, after falling sharply thanks in large part to the openings of casinos in neighboring Ohio earlier this decade.
July revenue overview
According to figures from the Indiana Gaming Commission, the state’s 13 commercial casinos won $185.85 mm from gamblers last month, off 2.8% from the $191.18 mm in net win from July 2018.
- Taxable adjusted gaming revenue last month was $169.66 mm, down 2.3% year-over-year.
- The state collected $32.37 mm in tax revenue from the casinos last month.
- Table games accounted for $27.94 mm of last month’s net win (-2.2% year-over-year), while the machines generated $157.91 mm (-2.9% year-over-year).
- There are 633 live dealer tables in Indiana, along with 17,876 slots.
- Ameristar Casino East Chicago experienced a net win drop of 14% to $16.46 mm.
- Horseshoe Casino Southern Indiana saw its net win fall 11.9% to $18.38 mm.
- Hollywood Lawrenceburg reported 5.6% less net win in July, taking in $14.68 mm.
- The state’s top casino in terms of gaming win is Horseshoe Casino Hammond, which took in $32.48 mm last month, off 1% year-over-year.
The IGC has awarded 14 sports betting certificates to brick-and-mortar facilities in the state. Many of them are expected to kick off betting early next month, followed by an online/mobile launch for some of the books in the following weeks/months.
Five entities have been approved as vendors in the sports betting space.
Ameristar, which saw the steepest decline out of any casino last month, plans to kick off sports betting on the first day the sports betting law allows it do to so.
Retail sports betting to go live at Ameristar Casino East Chicago (Indiana) on 9/1, pending regulatory approvals.
Penn National property, so it will be a Kambi-run book (tech, risk-mgmt) based on current agreements.
First bets? Bears legends in Mike Ditka + Devin Hester. pic.twitter.com/4ehIyB3y5D
— Sports Handle (@sports_handle) August 19, 2019
Subscribe to get the latest Indiana sports betting news to your inbox.